Message sent from:

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I think my child needs extra support?

How do you identify Special Educational Needs or a Disability?



How do you assess and record the progress made by children with a Special Educational Need?

Formal and Informal Assessments
Through the Quality First Teaching Approach, teachers assess the progress made by all children on a daily basis, through their understanding shown in class, the work they produce, and through detailed marking. 

More formal teacher assessments are made termly and are monitored by the school’s tracking system.  This helps identify any children who are not making expected progress and who may benefit from further support and interventions.  

Provision Maps
Provision Maps identify any further needs and provision offered by the class teacher and teaching assistant alongside their usual lessons.  They may occur in small groups or one to one with an adult. 

Provision maps are reviewed each term by the class teacher.  Class teachers have responsibility for drawing up, reviewing, assessing and updating their Class Provision Map.  A level is recorded at the beginning and end of the term, to monitor the child’s progress and the success of the intervention.  Children may begin a new intervention at any time in the term if it is felt that it would enhance their learning. Further information can be made available for parents on request.


Additional Needs Plan
Some children on SEN Support will require a higher level of intervention than others, and advice from outside agencies may be sought.  For these children, an Additional Needs Plan will be produced, with individual targets.  An ANP details the child’s successes, needs and access arrangements.  Targets will be set and reviewed termly with the child, Parents, Class Teacher and SENCO.  Outside agencies may be involved in the target setting and reviewing process. 


My Support Plan
If multiple agencies are involved with a child or a child is showing needs across more than one area, a My Support Plan will be written with the child's family, SENCO, teacher and other involved agencies.  This will collate all information about the child and bring together the targets the child will be working towards in their areas of need.  This will be used instead of an ANP and will be updated every term.  It will address long term and short term targets for the child and looking at what needs to be done to achieve these targets.  If progress is still not being shown through the use of a My Support Plan it may be decided to put the child forward for an Education, Health and Care Plan.


Education, Health and Care Plan
If an EHC Plan has been provided by the Local Authority, this will be reviewed each year at an Annual Review Meeting.  This will involve the child, Parents, Class Teacher, Support Staff, SENCO and Outside Agencies meeting to discuss the progress made towards the long and short term outcomes.    

Hit enter to search